By Decree of the Sacred Consistorial Congregation of 8 March, 1912, Pius X divided into two parts the territory of the Diocese of Omaha, erecting the western part into a new and distinct diocese with its see at Kearney. The first Bishop is Right Rev. James Albert Duffy, ordained, 27 May, 1893, appointed to the see, 25 January, 1913. He resides at Kearney. The diocese comprises an area of 38,000 square miles, and includes the following counties: Keyapaha, Rock, Garfield, Valley, Sherman, Buffalo, Cheyenne, Kimball, Banner, Scotts Bluffs, Sioux, Dawes, Box Butte, Morrill, Garden, Sheridan, Cherry, Grant, Hooker, Thomas, McPherson, Logan, Custer, Blane, Loup, Brown, and part of the counties of Dawson, Lincoln, Keith, and Deuel. The new diocese was made suffragan to Dubuque. The Catholic population is about 15,200. There are 58 churches, 21 parishes, 35 missions, 34 stations (without churches), 1 academy, and 3 parochial schools with over 680 pupils. The Sisters of St. Francis have schools at Ashton and Alliance, and an hospital at Alliance. (See NEBRASKA; DIOCESE OF OMAHA).
APA citation. (1914). Diocese of Kearney (Nebraska). In The Catholic Encyclopedia. New York: The Encyclopedia Press. http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/16048a.htm
MLA citation. "Diocese of Kearney (Nebraska)." The Catholic Encyclopedia. Vol. 16 (Index). New York: The Encyclopedia Press, 1914. <http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/16048a.htm>.
Transcription. This article was transcribed for New Advent by Douglas J. Potter. Dedicated to the Immaculate Heart of the Blessed Virgin Mary.
Ecclesiastical approbation. Nihil Obstat. March 1, 1914. Remy Lafort, S.T.D., Censor. Imprimatur. +John Cardinal Farley, Archbishop of New York.